Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Short

I began working my first job in 1974. Though my first day was almost my last day.

A new restaurant, The Cask and Cleaver, had opened in the area and one of my friends had applied for and been hired as a busboy. He let it be known through out the neighborhood that the restaurant still had positions available. It did not take much to convince me as my only income came from delivering papers before school, which was not a task I enjoyed.

Not to many days later I found myself filling out the application and speaking to one of the assistant managers. We discussed the remaining available position, which was for cleaning the restaurant in the morning and/or washing dishes in the evening. Most of the clean up crew did a little of both. I assured him that I was not picky and that I would be happy with anything they had to offer. The final decision however remained with the manager who was not in that day so he promised to get back to me.

About a week later I received a call from the same assistant manager who informed me that I the position was mine if I wanted it. I would start the following Monday and I would begin working for the grand sum of $1.75 per hour which seemed like quite a bit of money to me.

I reported to the restaurant at the appointed time and filled out the necessary paperwork while waiting for the assistant manager who had hired me.

Once the bureaucratic formalities were complete one of the other employees gave me a walk through of the dining room and kitchen while I waited. About half way through the tour we ran into the above assistant manager.

He took one look at me, stopped dead in his tracks and blurted out, "I did not remember you being so short when I interviewed you.

My tour guide burst out laughing and my face must have turned five different shades of red.

He immediately apologized for the comment but he went on to explain that my height (about five foot four at the time) might prevent me from completing all of my assigned duties.

He led me to the grill area where all of the steaks, chicken and lobster were prepared. He informed me that in order to remain in the position he had hired me for I must be able to reach the top/backside of grill. He was not being difficult, if I could not reach the entire grill I would not be able to clean it nor would I be able to remove the grease traps from above the grill.

As it turned out I just made the height limit by standing on my tippy toes.

I began work that day and went on to spend five happy years working for the Cask and Cleaver. In my time there I did a little of everything. Cleaning, washing dishes, preparing produce for the salad bars, bussing tables and even serving as a cooks assistant. My goal was to be a waiter but the law at the time required anyone who served alcohol to be twenty-one. I ended up leaving when I was nineteen to take a full time job with Bank of America.

No comments: