Monday, February 14, 2005

Daddy & the Bathroom Dragon

My daddy is the bravest father on the planet.

Every morning he is the first one in the shower. Mommy says it is because he has to leave for work before I go to school. I know she is doing her best to protect me but I know the truth, daddy told me.

He takes his shower first so he can subdue the bathroom dragon.

Each morning when daddy enters the bathroom arena he wears his battle robe, which is draped upon his shoulders. The robe is purple with his initials in gold written on one of the pockets. Only a great warrior like my daddy would be given the honor of wearing such a garment.

Daddy never displays fear, he walks by my room, throws me a salute, whistles the “The Battle Hymn of the Republic”, he says it is the honorable way to approach battle. Never sneak up on a dragon, face him eye to eye, man to beast.

When I hear the bathroom door close, I leap from my bed, sock monkey in tow and place my ear against the wall that my room shares with the bathroom. My tummy feels like worms are crawling through it; daddy’s battles always make me nervous.

All is quiet at first. I strain to hear my daddy or the dragon. Nothing. For what seems like forever there is no sound. Than all of the sudden there is a great whooshing and I know the dragon has realized my daddy is ready for the morning duel.

Soon the air is filled with rattles, groans and the clanking of the super, secret armor used to tame bathroom dragons.

My daddy’s voice bravely rises above the symphony of sound, “Today is the day I shall defeat you foul beast”.

Followed by a horrible hissing that can only be the dragons fear filled response.

The battle continues with groans and roars, hisses and splashes. Soon steam from the dragons flames flows like mist from beneath the bathroom door.

My little mind begins to worry.

Will daddy survive?

Can he defeat the dragon once again, forcing him to retreat into his watery cave?

Or will this be the day that daddy defeats him once for all returning from battle with a chain of dragon claws about his neck.

My little body trembles in fear. What will happen? What will be the final outcome?
One last burst of mist from beneath the bathroom door and the sounds of battle begin to fade. A few more clanks, a scattered group of roars, and a final great hiss tell me that the outcome has been decided.

I scramble from my place against the wall diving into the hall in anticipation of my daddy’s triumphant return.

The bathroom door slowly opens, followed by a great cloud of mist. From with in the mist daddy appears as if by magic. His hair is damp, his robe of bravery seems to hang a bit looser and there are several spots of blood on his cheeks. His is smiling however, which can only mean one thing. The bathroom dragon has been defeated once again.

As he passes by, daddy tousles my hair and throws me one last salute along with a wink of his battle weary eye.

The champion was successful, the beast defeated and I will be able to brush my teeth in peace for another day.

No comments: