Friday, July 09, 2004

Laguna Beach

When my mother finds a good hair stylist she will follow them through hell and high water to keep partaking in their quality work.

Case in point. The stylist my mom used in the late sixties and early seventies was originally located just a few miles from where we lived in Arcadia. When his salon became a success he moved the whole operation to Laguna Beach which is about a ninety mile round trip from where we lived.

Did she search out a new stylist? No. She followed him to Laguna Beach which was just fine by us kids because of course waiting for your mother on the beach is much more exciting than waiting for your mother in a smelly old salon especially during the summer.

Laguna Beach for those of you who don't know is a rather pricey beach town located along Pacific Coast Highway between Newport Beach and San Clemente. Laguna's most famous attraction is the Pageant of the Masters, which takes place every summer. During the pageant performers replicate the paintings of masters by appearing in costume and posing forming a living copy of the artists canvas. Words cannot convey the beauty of this event. Viewing the pageant for the first time would be similar to ones first exposure to Shakespeare on stage or on the screen where the words begin to come alive for the audience.

Today Laguna Beach is trendy, fashionable, and a hotspot where quite a few Southern Californians attempt to park and eat on any given Saturday. While in the seventies it was popular its popularity did not compare to today.

On hair styling day we would drive down to the beach with our mother where upon arrival she would set us free for a few hours while she spent her time being pampered and spoiled.

My favorite spot then and today has to be the tide pools of which there are several. During low tide you can climb over miniature coral mountains until you are approximately one hundred yards from the sand.

The coral at low tide becomes a landing strip and a restaurant for various breads of sea birds especially gulls and pelicans. A careful observer will spot fish, crab, jellyfish and other small creatures living and hiding in the various pools.

Once my exploring nature was satisfied I would always pull up a piece of sand and lose myself in a good book, periodically people watching and adding a bit of suntan lotion to my reddening skin. Once in awhile I would hook up with some of the other kids on the beach and get in on a game of Frisbee or football. However, sooner or later I would find myself back on my towel lost in whatever that day's beach read was.

Today I may not make it to the beach as often and when I do I rarely go to Laguna, it is much to crowded, no matter where I am opening a good summer novel brings the smell of surf and sand back to overwhelm my senses.

No comments: