Saturday, October 02, 2004

Musical Moments

Like most of my peer group I attended quite a few concerts in my youth. I saw everyone from the Beach Boys (5 times), the Eagles (5 times) to Poison, Elton John and AC/DC. Each concert was worthwhile in its own way and fortunately for me I never left a performance unsatisfied.

Best Overall Performer: Elton John without a doubt has by far the best stage presence of anyone I have seen. I was lucky enough to see him in 1979 while he was still at or near his peak as a performer. Each song was sung from the heart with passion and soul. The song that stood out was "Candle in the Wind" which over the years has become probably the most requested song in his catalogue. The only negative memory I have of his concert is the location of my seats. I went to a broker and paid extra for floor seats, which turned out to be a big mistake. It seems that everyone who purchased a floor seat bought them with the intention of standing on the seat for a better view of the stage. Even if one followed the leader and stood on their seat one was not able to see the stage because of all the heads in front of them.

Loudest Concert Performance: I would have to say it was a three-way tie between the Ramones, AC/DC and Metallica. For the record I was never a metal head or a punk rocker but my best friend was a combination of both. He would buy tickets to every show in town if for some reason he found himself without a date he would give me a call and I would go along on his dime so he would not have to go alone. Groups like Metallica and the Ramones played at smaller enclosed clubs, which tended to trap the sound inside your head until your brain was vibrating. AC/DC I saw outdoor so they were not quite as loud but they came close.

Favorite Concert: Would have to be a tie between the Eagles and Don Henley. Not hard for me to choose since the Eagles are my favorite group and Don Henley after the Eagles broke up is my favorite solo artist. Every one of their songs speaks to me on some level. As an aspiring writer their lyrics especially speak to my soul. My best memory of one of their concerts was actually a solo Henley concert where he rearranged Hotel California with Spanish guitars and flamenco dancers.

Most Enjoyable Concert Overall: When I was eighteen my best friend was fifteen and she was in love with the Bee Gees especially Barry Gibb. When they toured in 1978 her and her friends were dying to go but none of them had received their driver's license. They offered to buy my ticket if I would drive them to the show. Now I am not old enough to experience Beatlemania but the decibel level could not have been much louder. The audience was about seventy percent female and boy could they scream. Each movement, each lyric, each guitar lick elicited a scream from the crowd. Than just when I thought it could get no louder Andy Gibb joined his brothers on stage and I though for sure Dodger stadium was going to fall under the waves of sound that engulfed it. When a crowd responds to a band in such a way it motivates a performer to crank up their performance to levels unknown. Which is what happened that night.

No comments: