Tuesday, July 12, 2005

March of (Nostalgia) the Penguins

Went to see March of the Penguins this afternoon. Anything to stay out of the sun while on these meds. The movie was entertaining, emotional, comical, dramatic and just plain fun. Emperor penguins make Jerry Lewis appear to be more of a dramatic actor than a comedian.

Watching the movie I suddenly found myself traveling back through time in my own personal wayback machine. I was ten years old and watching a Walt Disney's True Life Adventure films with my grandmother.

In the sixties movies were not top draw for our spending cash. My mom worked to many hours to throw money away needlessly. When we did go to a show it was to the drive-in where everything was cheaper.

Nana on the other hand enjoyed going to the movie theater but for only two movies or types of movies. The Sound of Music and Disney's True Life Adventure films. The Vanishing Prarie and The Living Desert are two that must have made an impression on me since I can still remember them.

Seeing March of the Penguins brought back in a rush all those hours spent in the darkened theater experiencing nature before the overabundance of cable channels such as Discovery and Animal Planet.

All of this traveling the road of nostalgia led me to the net where I looked up some of the Disney Nature Films that I remembered. Boy was I in for a shock.

According to this article Disney and Lemmings at snopes.com the movie White Wilderness is at least in part a fraud. In the movie Lemmings were depicted hurling themselves into the ocean in some sort of bizarre rite of nature. They were commiting suicide in mass. Come to find out from reading the article that the film makers staged the whole thing. Lemmings do not as we were led to believe commit mass suicide.

Another childhood memory twisted all out of proportion by a cynical cameraman. Oh well.

No comments: