Sunday, March 05, 2006

first

my hands were damp
unable to grasp the steering wheel
with any sense of security
as my old jalopy drew closer to her home
i was filled with fear
my mouth was dry
saliva gone
as if sucked into oblivion
by a crazed dentist
my eyes darted nervously
from the oncoming traffic
to the rearview mirror
to the girl beside me
her profile showed no tension
she appeared to be calm, serene
at peace with the universe
undisturbed by the approaching chasm
why was i here
i was not ready
seventeen was to old for a first date
to old for a first kiss
to old to tremble at the thought
of stealing first base
what if she laughs
what if she slaps me
what if my breath could kill a dragon
as i turn onto her street the rain begins to fall
droplets the size of small balloons
slam my car
the gates of heaven have opened
am i to drown
is this a sign
should i let her go
unkissed,
a silent goodbye lost in the roar
of the battering storm
i pull into her driveway
turn off the engine
the only sound is our breathing
fogging the windows
closing us off from the outside world
and the rain
primordial in nature
creation, destruction
lost in confusion
i turn to speak
only to find her lips
on mine
gentle at first
than firmer and more intense
my world explodes
filled with bright light and sounds
i am shocked by the intensity
until i realize,
the explosion came from without
nothing more than the thunder
from our passing storm
lightening filled the skies with an intensity
our kiss could never match
we whispered awhile
kissed some more
watching the storm
awed by the power of nature
humbled by the spectacular
before hurried goodnights
beneath the rain
i walked back to my car
lost in the afterglow
of the passing storm

No comments: