Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Wind, Rewind

Today here in Southern California we had high winds for the first time in a while. In fact they are still blowing as I write this. It reminded me of a wind storm from the past......

It was 1980. I had just received a phone call from a complete stranger telling me that my father, whom I had not seen for years, had passed away. When my mom and siblings got home I shared the news which was met by complete indifference.

Outside the wind was ripping through the trees. Tossing lawn furniture and garbage cans alike around like rag dolls. A perfect representation of the turmoil I was feeling inside. Shock, despair, numbness, sorrow and indifference all fighting for attention.

Just when I thought the surprises for the night had ended, the power went out and you would have thought it made everyone stupid. My mom was frustrated by the electric can opener until it dawned on her that it was electric. My sister was frustrated by the blow dryer until she reached the same reality.

Me I was just frustrated.

I left the house climbing the hill in our backyard.

The wind tore through  me as I cried for a man I never really knew, ripping away my tears and scattering them across the valley......

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I bet it was difficult to pass the news to the rest of the family and for you. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

sue said...

That had to be rough. I'm sorry. It is something that, obviously, will be with you forever.