Thursday, November 17, 2005

Nicknames

My parents and most of their friends had nicknames that had stuck over the years. For some reason this crossed my mind today. Not sure why. Maybe because most people that I know do not use nicknames and I was wondering about that, if it was a generational thing, or if there was some other reason.

I cannot remember most of them but a select few still stand out.

My step dads best friend was always Hawk, I did not even know his real name was Jim until I was a teenager. If I had to guess I would say it came about because of his profile, which was very hawk like.

Another friend of my step dads was called Moose by everyone, they bartended together and he always introduced himself as Moose. His real name was Don but I think his nickname came about because of his size.

My step dad was Jaybird to everyone. Not much mystery there as his name was Jay.

My mother was known as Bomber by one and all. I never gave it much thought but after my step dad passed away I finally asked her why everyone called her bomber. Turns out that her nickname had an actual story behind it.

My parents and a group of their friends were driving back from Del Mar (a racetrack just north of San Diego) when they stopped for dinner. It was a typical surf and turf joint along the coast.

After a day at the track everyone was relaxed and having a good time. My mom had stepped away from the table for a moment when a woman came and sat down practically on my step dads lap.

He was always good at the deadpan reaction and according to legend he just looked at her and said can I help you with no expression of surprise what so ever.

The woman looked him in the eye and said, “Why don’t you drop that Blonde Bomber you are with and come away with me.”

Of course he turned her down. She left before my mom returned to the table, when she did my step dad just looked at her and said, “What are you drinking Bomber?”

Everyone at the table broke up over that and from that day forward she was bomber.