Thursday, December 08, 2005

Saved

Thanksgiving Eve, I was on disability from my then employer recovering from recent knee surgery. Nothing major or so I thought, a scope to clean out some old debris was all. In reality it was my third surgery on the same knee and rehab was taking longer than planned. My range of movement and flexibility mimicked the movements of a mime performing the old trapped in the box routine. My doctor had me in physical therapy four days a week, which included a daily bike ride.

I was living in North Hollywood at the time and the area was home to several excellent bike routes. I spent most of my time riding in and around Griffith Park. For those of you who are not familiar with the Los Angeles area, Griffith Park is a huge tract of land left to the city on the condition that the land be preserved as is for future generations. Which for the most part it has.

On this particular ride I changed my normal routine and rode to my favorite used bookstore: The Iliad. A great place to browse with several overstuffed couches and books to suit every readers taste.

A quick aside: The Iliad happens to be located adjacent to The Odyssey Video Store.

Upon finishing my browsing I hobbled out to my bike and began the ride home. Now in hindsight the following incident would most probably have been avoided if it wasn't rush hour and if I had chosen to ride with the traffic instead of against it.

I had ridden maybe two blocks stopping at each side street before crossing without incident. I approached the third block stopped and observed a car waiting to turn onto Lankersheim. Traffic was heavy and I made the mistake of assuming that the driver would be awhile. Without a second or even a third thought I left the curb.

Unfortunately the driver of the car decided that the very small gap she saw was just big enough for her car, she accelerated and apparently she never even saw me.

Her car hit me broad side. My bike and I slid under the car and my beautiful face seemed destined for a rather painful introduction to her right front tire. I closed my eyes and did my best to prepare for what I assumed to be imminent impact.

Suddenly, instead of sliding under the wheel my body was being jerked to a stop. I opened my eyes and her tire was coming to a stop well short of my head. For a moment or two I just kind of hung there in a daze. As I began to pull myself together I came to the realization that I had never hit the ground. My gold chain and crucifix had caught on the bumper and prevented my upper torso from becoming a pancake.

When it was all said and done I walked away without a single serious injury. A sprained shoulder, a burn on my neck from the chain along with various bumps and bruises.

The next day upon my arrival at mom's for Thanksgiving dinner I headed straight for the kitchen, gave her a hug and a kiss and thanked her for the gift that saved my life.

No comments: