Monday, April 24, 2006

PoP

POP! POP! POP!!!!!!!!!

At the sound of the pop I attempted to throw myself to the floor in my best effort to avoid the obvious gunfire. This proved to be impossible as I was gently, but firmly being held to the table.

I turned to my chiropractor and in all seriousness asked her if there was a military installation near by or had that explosive sound come from within me.

She laughed assuring me that while rather loud the sound had come from within and that there was nothing to worry about.

Nothing to worry about she says. In all the years I have walked this planet I had never heard such loud and potentially damaging noises coming from my own body.

The last month or so the pain in my back, hips, neck and shoulders had me dreaming of large bottles of pain relievers. Alas, due to some of my other ailments it was best for me to avoid downing handfuls of the stuff.

Having had more than my fill of mainstream medicine I decided that for the first time in my life I would pay the chiropractor a visit.

I approached the appointment with an open mind but almost cut and ran before I even saw the doctor. After completing the usual multitudes of forms the receptionist informed me that I was required to watch an introductry video.

The film confirmed all of the stereotypical information floating around about the chiropractic practices. The spokespeople on the video talked about the miracle cures that awaited anyone who visited a chiropractor. Everything from high blood pressure to respitory ailments could be chased away with a few timely pops of the spine.

Tempted though I was to leave I chose to stick it out and see what would happen.

The chiropractor I was seeing turned out to be a bit more grounded than the one in the video. While making no promises she said that with chiropractic treatment the overall health of the body could improve.

She went through a series of measurements and proceeded to explain where she thought my pain was originating. A tweaked neck. Hips out of alignment. And shoulders that were not sitting in a proper position.

She than proceeded to pop and twist me like a pretzel. Some positions more painful than others. This was followed up by twenty minutes on a heated table with a huge roller that ran up and down my back.

Four days since my appointment and I am not sure that I feel any better. Still I will return Friday for a follow up, even if it is only to nap on the roller table for another twenty minutes.

No comments: