Friday, April 16, 2004

Focus

As I sit here keyboard in hand, I am having difficulty keeping my imagination on its leash. For some reason every nook and cranny of the brain has become open game for exploration. While I am attempting to focus on one topic my mind is playing keep away with my creativity preventing me from putting together a coherent and readable piece.

It all began yesterday. I was anticipating spending all or at least part of the afternoon writing. As usual when it comes to the best-laid plans every time I attempted to sit and create the phone would ring or someone would come to the door. I found it impossible to keep my butt planted in the chair long enough to link two sentences together.

Finally around eleven PM I found myself free from obligations and distraction but to no avail. The muse had put on her best party dress and blew this dive for a night on the town with a few nouns and verbs. My reaction good for her and I spent an hour stubbornly planted in front of my keyboard pounding out one bland sentence after another. Realizing that I was only creating more stomach acid than witty prose I went to bed a somewhat frustrated artist. I figured tomorrow would be better.

Wrong. Here I sit in front of the same computer with no creative energy to be found. My muse is still hung over and the nouns and verbs found themselves in a fistfight over whom she liked better.

My only choice at this point is to refrain from pounding my head on my desk in frustration and hope tomorrow brings my writing world into crisper focus.

No comments: