Saturday, June 05, 2004

Brush with Fame

More reminiscing from the river, my mother shared with me a story she never had before concerning earliest brush with meeting a celebrity.

It happened in 1961 or 1962. I was two years old and making my first aware trip to Disneyland. Baby trip do not count because all you do is sleep in the stroller and you are oblivious to the ongoing show.

As we roamed the park we had made our way towards Frontierland, which at the time contained an Indian village complete with an Indian chief. According to my mother the chief fascinated me and I cried when she began to walk away. The chief took notice and walked towards us. He held out his arms and my mother says I ran right to him as if I had known him all of my life.

I guess I was in seventh heaven and did not want to leave. So my mother stood there with the chief while I pulled on his war bonnet and they made small talk.

It was at this time that one of Disneyland's old-fashioned automobiles drove up and stopped near where we were standing. The occupants of the car were a princess from a country that my mother has long since forgotten and Walt Disney himself. Walt according to legend enjoyed giving visiting dignitaries personal tours. He was pointing the sights and sounds of Frontierland out to the princess when he noticed my Indian chief and me.

He beckoned to the chief who along with my mother carried me over to the car. He introduced himself and asked my mother if we were enjoying the park. All the while though he kept watching me interact with the chief, finally he asked my mother if he could hold me. She replied of course and the chief began to hand me over to Mr. Disney. I however would have nothing to do with him. I didn't cry but I also did not let go of my Indian. No matter how they tried I would not allow Walt to hold me.

According to my mom Mr. Disney got a kick out of the whole thing. He told her that he thought she had a lovely family. He told her to have a great time in the park and went about his tour.

As for my Indian chief my mother was finally able to pry me out of his arms but I cried all the way out of Frontierland.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if your mother remembers the Indian Chiefs name. My Grandma has a picture of an Indian Chief with my Great-Grandmother (who was Penobscot Indian) and I am trying to find his name.

Thanks