Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Thoughts of Heaven

People with religious words
Sitting on mighty thrones
Clutching a bible to their hearts
Shuffling like seasoned drones
Teaching the world all about heaven
With its big fluffy clouds
Its angelic choir
A place where happiness has no bounds
Where everybody’s equal
Not a soul is different
A place without age
Where there is no social security
Where you can cross the universe
In the blink of an eye
They promise St. Peter
Watching the gate
But I wonder though if that’s what I will find
I have never been there
Neither have they
So what gives them the right
To teach heaven today
No prophet has returned
To show us what is there
No one has bothered to write down
What we will see or what we will share
Will we remember who we are
Will we remember our closest friends
Will we remember our earthly spouse
Or will singleness be the trend
Is there a place for the Dodgers to play
Will Kate have her lines to say
Will Lennon have his own guitar
Will Gleason be tending bar
Will there be sunsets and clouds
Rainstorms and rainbows
Will there be stars in the midnight sky
Will there be wheat to grow
Will there be animals all around
Will there be fishing holes
Still waiting to be found
Can I go for a moonlit walk
Through deserted fields and parking lots
Can I sleep in the four-leaf clover
Can I walk with a girl
Shoulder to shoulder
Will I retain my memories
Of childish pranks, grown up tears
Or will my memories
Simply disappear

I do not know what heaven will be
I do not pretend to understand
I just try to live my life
Embracing each and every day
Praying for a winning hand

Though if God left it up to me
Heaven would be made up
Of those special moments
That passed so quickly
While we were on earth
Leaving us wishing
For one more minute
To sit back, relax
And embrace the moment

Like a beautiful sunrise
A baby’s first step
A summer rainstorm
How soon we forget
The beauty of a rainbow
A child’s first words
Watching the snowfall
Or the flight of a bird
The way or hearts melt
When we first fall in love
The faith we felt
For God above
Or finally a sunset
A beautiful ending
To our favorite day

If heaven is anything
It is made up of these
Our warmest moments
And our favorite people
Who passed through our lives
Like leaves on a breeze

No comments: