Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Chicken & Noodles

When my parents were first divorced, my mom found herself the sole provider for three children. My father swimming in a sea of alcoholism had no concept of parental responsibility and was inclinded to spend his money on a case of Hamm's beer rather than pay child support.

My mother never complained and became expert at creating inexpensive menus which, while not being the most exciting meals on the planet managed to keep food on the table until she became more successful.

Of all the inexpensive meals she created chicken and noodles was while not the worst, my least favorite. More than likely it was because it was the least inexepensive meal meaning that it was the one she chose to serve most often.

The creation of this meal required a canned chicken. Not chicken parts but a complete cooked chicken in a can including bones and the broth it was cooked in. The chicken was removed from the can and the meat was picked from the bones. The meat was added to the broth that had been retained from the can. At the same time a package of egg noodles was brought to a boil and cooked until tender. The noodles were drained and added to the chicken mixture. Simmer for ten more minutes and it was done.

At least once every two weeks chicken and noodles would be the meal of choice. I grew to despise those nights. At times it would take an hour or more to finish my meal. My only salvation from table isolation came when we had a babysitter. I was usually able to convince them to let me have a chicken and noodle sandwich, meaning I could take my meal outside.

Flash forward to the present day. When I arrived at my mom's for my visit I was beset by an undeniable craving for chicken and noodles. Why I have no idea but there it was,

Unfortunately at least for now that craving will remain unresolved. It seems that not a single market in Bullhead City carries whole canned chickens. They have canned chicken that is similar to canned tuna but according to my mom the only way the recipe will work is with the whole chicken in a can.

So no chicken and noodles for me this week. When I return to Los Angeles I will search out a canned chicken for my next visit. Now I just need to make sure my mom has wonder bread on hand.

No comments: