Thursday, March 31, 2005

Lungs in Crisis - Update

March along with the first quarter of 2005 saw me continuing to run through, or should I say crawl through the illness maze that I have been trapped in since April 2003. Two years now and no answers, solutions or even really good ideas can be seen anywhere on the horizon.

After 2004 I held out faint hopes that 2005 would show some form of improvement regardless of how minor. However, as we stand on the eve of April I have had pneumonia and am now wandering the corridors of my second bout of bronchitis since January 1st.

The medical professionals who are doing their best to care for me have just about played ever selection in the antibiotic jukebox. Therefore, they selected an oldie but a goodie for the latest battle, Doxycycline is now the antibiotic of choice.

As someone who used to cringe at the thought of taking something as inconsequential as acetaminophen for pain I now walk around with a virtual pharmacy in my bag. On the average day I take the following combination of meds: the antibiotic of the week, sonata for sleeping, Benzonatate for cough, Mucinex to break up mucus, Advair inhaler for opening airways, Aciphex for acid, Xanex for anxiety and Zoloft for anxiety, plus the occasional Tylenol for pain.

All in all an exciting way to spend ones forties.

No comments: