Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dog Day's Of June

It seems that over the years every calendar day has come to embrace multiple meanings beyond the day of the week and the day of the month. Of course there are the biggies that everyone knows: birthdays, anniversaries, holy days and holidays the list goes on.

Some of the oddest and most bizarre ones that I have come across recently are listed below.

June 6th – Applesauce Cake Day: I am a big fan of Applesauce Cake or so I thought. Apparently the recipe handed down to me from my mother is not appropriate for Applesauce Cake Day. Our recipe and the official recipe of the day could not be more different. For those interested I can email you a copy of ours, as I would prefer not to share it with the entire internet.

June 13th – Blame Someone Else Day: Not only am I not surprised that there is a Blame Someone Else day I find it ironic that know two sites agree on the exact day. One site assigns the day to the first Friday the 13th of the year. Another assigns it to all Friday the 13th’s. A third site chose June 13th this year as the day, which to the best of my knowledge was not a Friday. I wonder whom we can blame?

June 16th – National Morticians Day: Did anyone else beside me forget to drop in at his or hers local cemetery or mortuary to thank the mortician on duty for his or hers fine contributions to society. I thought so. Whoever handles the publicity for National Morticians Day is failing at their task and should be replaced.

Apparently National Morticians Day was founded by an organization of morticians in the early 1900’s. Rather than a random day the leader of the group chose his mother’s birthday as the day to honor his profession. I wonder if his mom found his memorial a bit morbid.

June 18th – National Hollerin’ Contest Day: On the third Saturday in June (though some sites fix the day on June 18th) since 1969 crowds have descended on Spivey’s Corner located in North Carolina for the National Hollerin’ Contest. When I discovered that the Super Bowl of Hollerin’ was just around the corner I fired up the ol’ digital video recorder and frantically searched the channel guide for the pre-show countdown. To my dismay I later found out that the Hollerer’s have yet to be discovered by ESPN.

June 21st – Cuckoo Warning Day: For the life of me I could not figure out what Cuckoo Warning Day was all about. The jokes are obvious but I wondered if something more sinister was involved. Sure enough Cuckoo fans are trying to steal Groundhog Day’s thunder. Apparently if you hear a Cuckoo (a live one not the clock kind) on June 21st it means that we are in for a wet and humid summer. Somehow though the Cuckoo just does not seem like it would know has about weather as a Groundhog apparently does.

1 comment:

Angela said...

and you would like to speak to an attorney about your options go to: Many nurses are building their resuems and fulfilling career goals with a Cardiac Cath lab job in Phoenix. Certified Nursing Assistant Cna Position Knoxville Tn To provide a clearer view of accelerated nursing degree programs, some representative programs are described here.