Thursday, June 30, 2005

June 23 Typewriter Day: Christopher Latham Sholes along with Carlos Glidden is credited with inventing the first practical typewriter between 1868 and 1874. The first typewriters were mass-produced by the Remington Arms company. More famous of course for the guns they produced. And yes all you QWERTY haters out there the famous or should I say infamous arrangement was present on the first patented typing machine. In fact the QWERTY arrangement itself was also patented.

June 24 Flying Saucer Day: In some circles a Kenneth Arnold is credited or derided for reporting the first flying saucer sightings. Flying Saucer Day honors him and all the other believers in the truth being out there.

June 27 Talk Like A Cheesy P.I. Day: I was unable to find any data on the origins of this particular oddball day. In hindsight I wish I had stumbled across this day prior to the 27th. Could of spent the day with some cheesy movies. As a matter of fact I believe the 27th was the day I watched several Thin Man comedies on TCM. Coincidence I think not.

June 29 Remote Control Day: E-Card sites actually sell this day as a day to take control of ones life. As if. My experience has been that most people have been taken over by their remote controls. Sitting in front of the boob tube for hours believing that if they just keep clicking the button something worthwhile will suddenly appear on the screen. I sometimes wonder if there is not some sort of mind control chip hidden inside the plastic. For those who care the remote infiltrated our world in 1964.

No comments: