Thursday, August 25, 2005

Foiless

Swansons Chicken Pie and Swansons Turkey TV Dinner were once regulars on my menu but over the years they have lost their luster.

Some would say that like most things past my memory is creating a taste that was never there.

Others would say that like all mass produced frozen foods Swansons has abandoned quality for quantity.

Thought I find both points valid I tend to disagree. In my humble opinion it was the advent of plastic trays and cardboard bowls that killed the frozen meal.

There was something about cooking the pot pie or the turkey tv dinner in tinfoil that cannot be duplicated with more modern methods. Foil provided a more even heat that while not duplicating a Thanksgiving turkey meal at least allowed the diner to taste turkey and dressing. And pot pies cooked in foil had crispier crusts when baked.

I am sure the change was driven by the need to modernize plants. I realize that once changed a product is never the same. Just compare Original Coke with so called Coke Classic and you will see what I mean.

No comments: