Tuesday, August 02, 2005

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service

Everyone has seen the a sign reading No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service displayed in a wide variety of business establishments. Usually ones that are involved in the preparation or selling of food. Today I discovered that the Laundromat that I frequent also has this sign hanging in the front window.

I agree with the principle, I mean who wants to walk into the Laundromat and find themselves across the machines from some 300 lb shirtless man with more hair on his back and front than any human should.

Two things confuse me though: who is going to enforce the no service rule. Since Laundromats are do it yourself establishments there is rarely someone official on the premises to enforce the rules.

Most importantly though what service will be denied. Service by definition is when someone does a task or job for you. Sure the machines are provided but no one at my Laundromat is washing my clothes for me.

Last time I checked there wasn't a host or hostess greeting me at the door. Inquiring as to how many loads were in my party and would I like them together or could they be separated for quicker access. No asked me if I wanted a washer with a window view. A soap steward was not provided who made his rounds offering various vintages of laundry detergent and fabric softener.

There are no professional folders visiting each customer offering various services. Sheet folding, sock collecting or shirt hanging. Nope no services provided.

So maybe next laundry visit I will go sans shirt and shoes to see what if anything happens.

On second thought that would not be a good idea because some smartass blogger might point out that I have too much hair on my torso.

No comments: