Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The One Where I Am Sure To Piss Someone Off...

May be offensive to some readers. Proceed at your own risk.

Not unlike most of the population my religous upbringing was decided by those who came before me. My maternal grandmother's family originated in Italy, fire and brimstone Catholics by nature. A fear of God and the Catholic Church (not necessarily in that order) were the birthrite of each generation.

I followed the path laid before me. Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation each step on the ladder dutifully climbed. Each sign of the cross performed. Each confession shared with one of the parish priests assuring my future ascension into heaven.

Each ritual shared with family and friends a community of believers marching in lockstep. Chanting the hymns and shouting hosannas to the heavens.

There was only one thing wrong with this picture. I did not buy it. The church, the rituals, the holier than though attitude of so many parishioners just rubbed me the wrong way. And when my grandmother gave the company line to each of my questions I knew that I was spinning my wheels on a path of empty beliefs.

Mine not anyone elses.

I have known more than my share of Catholics in my day who have a sincere and strong belief in the church and I have a deep and abiding respect for that. It is only my own beliefs that are in question here.

I kept up the charade though. Not out of respect for the church but out of respect for my grandmother who was in point of fact in many ways a second mother to me. So until her passing I attended mass by her side. Sat with her in the hall on Sunday mornings while she shared coffee, donuts and gossip with her friends of many decades. Never letting on that my beliefs were lacking and that it was all being done in her honor not the popes.

Upon her passing I walked away from the Catholic Church and have yet to look back.

God is a different story.

I have deep and unwavering belief in God. A belief that has remained strong through the trials, tribulations and joys of my life. My problem has never been with the creator. My problem is now and has always been with organized religion.

I just cannot buy into it.

Most if not all religions are built upon a foundation of sand claiming a legacy received from God.

My problem is that as I look around this idea does not compute.

I believe in God. I believe that God had a hand in the creation of the universe. The development of life on this planet. That God is directly or indirectly responsible for the daily miracles of this world.

Sunrises. Sunsets. Rainbows. Childbirth. All perfect in their own way.

My question is if as I believe God created a perfect universe, how in the world could God have created the mess we call organized religion?

To Be Continued...

No comments: