Monday, February 20, 2006

a wall

where did that wall come from
i asked myself
a wall which enclosed my world
blocking the sunshine
nothing grows behind this wall
the grass is brown
the flowers dead
the trees are stunted
unable to raise feeble branches
high enough to reach the warmth
within these walls
there is a path
along the wall
a perfect circle
i have no memory of the path
just of walks
lasting hours
long into the night
around and around i would walk
contemplating
meditating
praying
berating
pleading
eyes roaming a bit of sky
in search of a star
to grant my wish
to tear down this wall
to heal my heart
to give me hope
a reason
to believe again
a reason
to smile again
a reason
to remove the bricks
that surround my world
a reason to tear down
the wall
i never built
the wall
that protects me from the pain
that hides my tears from the world
that allows me to hide
in a dark corner
where the world is silent
and pain a myth
just me
and my sock monkey
waiting for the dawn

No comments: