Monday, February 27, 2006

a tear stained quilt

my depression is naught but
an old and faded quilt
in which i wrap my soul
each panel has been created
from dark moments of my life
in which i failed to pass a test
in which i failed to give a piece
of my heart, of my soul
to a brother on a corner
to a friend on bended knee
requesting only warmth
and shelter from the coming storm
each panel a reminder
of another lesson i failed to learn
of another mountain i failed to climb
leaving bits of bread crumbs
an empty reminder of my passing
no food for the hungry
no comfort for the lonely
ignorance of need a poor excuse
for the turning of one blind eye
each panel has been stained
by the oil of a thousand tears
falling silently in the darkness
from the eyes of a lonely man
lacking the courage to accept the comfort
offered by a thousand hands
lacking the faith of innocence
unable to believe in another’s heart
destined to walk a circle of silence
worry beads in hand
until the day he rediscovers
a belief in the promised land

No comments: