Thursday, March 04, 2004

Me and the Dodger's

Family lore says that my parents expected my birth to occur on or about September 11, 1959. Most parents of that era would have been at home waiting for those all important labor pains to begin. Signifying that their first-born son was on the way.

Not my parents. September 11th found them at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum taking in a double header. The were rooting for the Dodger's, Los Angeles's newest team, as they took on the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Dodger's won both games and if my sense of timing had been better I would have a great story to share concerning my birth at a Dodger game.

As it turns out my mother did not go into labor until October 1st, which coincided with the first game of the world series. Through out the afternoon my mothers room resembled Grand Central Station as nurses, doctors and nuns (it was a Catholic Hospital) visited with surprising regularity, not necessarily to check on my mom's progress but the progress of the Dodger's. The Boys in Blue lost that game to the White Sox 11-0.

Between games one and two of the series I finally decided it was time to make my grand entrance into the world. It was a very difficult delivery for my mother, at one point the doctor even came to the conclusion that he may have to chose between her or her unborn child (me). Obviously, making that choice never came to pass, as both my mother and I are still alive and well.

My mom was returned to her room with me in tow in plenty of time to catch game two of the series which the Dodger's won 4-3. Her room was once again filled with visitors, who could blame them with such a beautiful baby just waiting to be spoiled, but no they were just there to find out the latest score.

This pattern continued through out the series. My mother and I were kept in the hospital for several days to ensure that there were no complications. Coincidently, the world series lasted until we were released.

Every game day found various people from around the hospital visiting our room to share in the experience of Los Angeles's first world series. Which of course the Dodger's won four games to two. And thus began my love of baseball and the Dodger's.

No comments: