Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Phone Rant

I have begun to develop an outright hatred for the phone.

Growing up the adults around me limited their use of the phone to actual communication. Phone calls would last less than five minutes and actual information would be exchanged.

"BBQ at our house Saturday night."
"Bridge at your house Friday"
"Meeting at the lodge Tuesday"

The only exception would be those bi-yearly phone calls from long distance relatives. A rare hour would be spent on the phone catching up on the family gossip.

Now the phone has become a security blanket. People call at all hours of day or night. The calls serve no purpose, no information is exchanged and no connection is made.

"Hello"
"What are you doing?"
"Nothing. What are you doing?"
"Nothing."
"blah blah blah blah"
"blah blah blah blah"
"blah blah blah blah"
"blah blah blah blah"
"Later"
"Later"

The above sounds like a conversation between bored teens but I expect that behavior from teens. I am referring to other adults who call my house with no real purpose. I know its rude but I have begun to screen the calls with my answering machine. Unless it seems important most calls I just ignore. Maybe I am slowly evolving into an unsociable being, so be it. If being unsociable means I can avoid inane conversation with know no than that describes me.

I guess in the future I will resolve to be more selective in choosing who receives my phone number.

No comments: