Monday, December 20, 2004

December 12, 1977

While cleaning out several boxes in my garage I stumbled across a dream diary that I once kept. It was the fall of 1977 and I was at the beginning of my short and rather mundane college career. The class I enjoyed the most was Beginning Psychology. Especially the study of dreams, which required the keeping of the above mentioned diary.

I became rather adept at waking from a dream, scribbling some notes in the dark and re-entering REM sleep without missing a beat. (How I wish I could fall asleep that easily now.) In the morning I was able to flesh out the details using my almost unreadable notes.

I had the following dream on December 12, 1977. Of all the dreams in my diary this one seemed to have the most detail and was rather strange even for me.

My parents were preparing for a trip to Las Vegas. The Cadillac was packed, the gas tank full and the engine had been serviced.

My parents were in the living room talking with me. My sister was staying with her friend Diane and my brother was staying with Nana. I was going to be staying home alone.

What was showing on the TV came across as being rather bizarre. It was the channel seven news with commentary only no news story. The first person to speak was Regis Philbin (yes that Regis he began his career on ABC in Los Angeles). He did an in depth editorial on the dangers of pinball and its effect on the mental health of young Americans.

Then Leo McKelroy, Anne Martin and Christine Lund were on the stage. They were discussing the importance of fire prevention. The strange thing was that they were all wearing clothes that appeared to be burned..

Once they finished their piece they stood as if they were going to leave. They then sat back down and explained that the reason they were wearing burnt clothes was to impress on the viewers the importance of the subject.

May dad than explained that he kept a rented room at the Aztec Motel in case there was a fire so that we would have somewhere to go.

I told him that he was wasting his money and that we should let God provide.

He informed me that God was a fairy tale and that if he existed how come everyone did not believe in him.

I explained that God gave us free will and that my dad had taken a wrong turn someplace rather than follow the highway to heaven.

Than my mother gave me one hundred dollars for food and she told my dad she was ready to leave. My dad was rummaging through a drawer and in a panicked voice explained that he had to find something before they could leave.
Finally he pulled a pair of scissors from the drawer and proclaimed that he was ready to leave. As they walked out the door he handed me the scissors and he requested that I take good care of them.

As they were getting in the car a moving truck pulled up behind them and delivered a Captain Fantastic pinball machine.

When I woke up I was on my third ball with a score of 65,250.

No comments: