Saturday, December 18, 2004

Light Displays

I spent the evening roaming the streets San Bernardino and Riverside counties. In my annual quest finding fantastic Christmas decorations and displays to enjoy.

My first stop did not disappoint. I visited the Mission Inn located in Riverside, California. Building began around 1876 and continued for many years. The goal of the owner was to build a hotel that reflected the early California mission look. His task went so well that in the 1950’s his Inn was recognized as an historical landmark.

The outside walls of the Mission Inn have quite a few balconies and each side of the building has its own theme. The front has mariachis, the west side has panda bears, and the back and east side has musical instruments. The entrance to the Inn is lined by displays of Santa’s elves working hard to finish their toy making by Christmas. The entire building is covered by millions of colorful lights.

Carolers strolled the streets and horse drawn wagons offered tours of nearby neighborhoods dominated by decorated Victorian mansions. All in all it was well worth the thirty-minute drive to see.

The second part of my drive was a big fat belly flop. Ever since I was a child I have visited Hastings Ranch in Arcadia during Christmas. Each neighborhood there has its own theme and the streets are filled with cars, Christmas carols and kids as everyone enjoys the beautiful displays.

This year however someone advised me that there was an area not far from my house that matched Hasting Ranch in its holiday finery. Foolish me I believed them and headed there for the second part of my journey.

All I can say is that either their directions were wrong or they do not know a Christmas decoration from Rudolph’s red nose. I cruised entire neighborhoods searching for the grand displays that were promised but alas I came up empty handed.

Next year I return to Hastings Ranch and traditions that I can count on.

No comments: