Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Murmur's Two Years and Counting

Two years ago today I sat down at the thrown and began blogging. My sole purpose at the time was to jumpstart my writing. Nothing more, nothing less. Over the years I had gone from writing daily to rarely writing. I could not find the spark and felt like a part of me was missing. Blogging I thought would be a commitment to myself, a place where I would go and leave words of some kind behind.

In that I have succeeded in two years I have produced somewhat more than four hundred pieces. Some I felt were good and some were crap. The quality was not important it was the writing that counted. It was waking my Rip Van Winkle of a muse up and getting down to expressing myself on paper/computer once more.

Along the way something I did not expect happened. I began to meet people from around the world. Some by reading there blogs, others who came to my blog leaving a trail for me to follow back to theirs.

I thought wow this is pretty cool. I am seeing how others write and finding inspiration in their work. Some of the poetry I wrote through out the past two years was directly inspired by the lives of other bloggers.

If that had been the extent of it I would have considered blogging a success. I was writing and being inspired by other writers. My creative life was good.

One more surprise was in store for me though. The biggest surprise of all.

I began to make friends. Not the pass in the hallway at work type of friend. But real honest to goodness friends. People who noticed if I missed a few days and would drop a line to make sure all was well. Others would leave behind detailed comments on my blog expressing support, care, or concern when my posting leaned toward the dark side. Which as my regulars know it has on quite a few occaisons.

This was quite a shock to me. I have social anxiety and I have never surrounded myself with a large circle of friends. Going up and chatting with a stranger is just not my cup of tea. That being said I have made more friends in past two years than in the last twenty combined.

To each of you who visits, comments or takes the a moment to email I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. While my life of late makes a bed of thorny roses look inviting I can safely say that without my new friends it would have been a lot worse.

Thank you.

No comments: