Sunday, May 16, 2004

Angels

I looked up into the clear blue sky and I saw an angel looking down
He had golden wings and silver hair but on his face he wore a frown
So I looked up at my guardian angel and I asked him why are you so sad
He just looked at me with tear filled eyes, I never knew angels could feel so bad
Than in a sorrowful voice he said it’s the way things are today
So much is going wrong people believe that God's gone away
There is crime in the city, hate in the schools, fathers who won't stay
There are children in the street, without a chance, using drugs to chase the pain away
There are worms in the water, smog in the air, the Amazons begun to disappear
There are holes in the ozone, no violence free zones, humanity is living in fear
He said, heavens no longer a happy place, we are filled with such despair
Our hearts are heavy, our songs are sad, you see we angels truly care

With that he turned as if to go and I knew I had to speak
I couldn't let him fly away without the answers he seemed to seek
So I spoke to him with a hope filled voice and he stopped to hear me out

I know our worlds not the perfect place you in heaven wished it would be
But in the beginning when the planets were young God he set our will free
He said go out and explore the world discover what's wrong and right
All I ask in return is that you seek out heavens light
Now I know sometime we all forget about heaven and its glory
I know there are those who no longer believe, they say God is just a story
Still there is so much good on earth don't let the bad bring you down
There are plenty of people filled with love just have a look around
When a natural disaster strikes a country down anywhere on this earth
It does not matter what they believe they find out what a man is worth
Money, food, clothes or shelter, sometimes just a prayer
All flow into that battered country showing that we truly care
There are everyday moments that we all believe are signs of all that's good
Sunsets and rainbows, rainstorms and snow or the smell of freshly cut wood
There are bird songs, love songs and silly songs for fun
There is a baby at birth, a baby's first words or a child learning to run
There is love at first sight, falling in love and a walk down the marriage road
There are horses and cows, puppies and kittens and even a horned back toad
There is the first flower of spring, the last leaf of fall and moonlit winter nights
There is help for the homeless, hope for the afflicted and those who protect human rights
There is baseball, basketball, football and more, so much to keep our bodies strong
There is algebra, chemistry, astronomy and more, designed to help the mind along
There is life, death and everything that helps make this world go 'round

And then I seemed to lose my breath my voice stopped without a sound
I looked up at my guardian angel and I saw that his tears no longer hit the ground
He said, I guess in heaven we just have dismissed all of the little things
We have forgotten how to appreciate the joy that life can bring
I guess there truly is hope for this world and God's creations

And then he turned and flew away with a smile that made my heart sing
I guess now even angels understand the joy that life can bring

No comments: