Saturday, May 29, 2004

Jaybird

Jaybird as his closest friends called him was introduced to me as my stepfather, however long before his passing he had simply become my dad. I am visiting my mom this weekend and we were going through some old papers and I came across the two pieces I wrote for his funeral. He passed away twenty-four years ago on June 8, 1987

In the beginning
He was that man
My new father
Who I couldn't understand
He seemed distant
And far away
Sometimes I wished
He would not stay

But as the years went by
I came to understand
Who he was
What kind of man
He was strong
He was proud
He always stood
And spoke out loud
He loved people
In return they loved him
Where ever he traveled
He made friends
He loved to laugh
He loved to dance
With him my mom
Found love and romance
He loved his children
And their kids
He was always brave
Until the end

Through him
I became a man
Now I think
I understand
The laughter and joy
The pain and the sorrow
That we live with today
And can expect tomorrow
I learned to live
Life to the fullest
Though I feel
I can say it best
I loved my dad
He was the best

He was born Jay Ray Hunter on May 23, 1927 in Amarillo, Texas. Jay graduated high school in 1944 and enlisted in the US Navy. He was stationed in the South Pacific where he served through the end of World War II.

Upon his return from the Navy he attended college at West Texas State University. When he left college he worked nine years for the US Postal Service in Amarillo.

He moved to Arcadia, California in the mid 50's where he remained. He worked for Purcell Auto Supply for more than twenty years as a salesman. He was a member of the Arcadia Elks Lodge for more than twenty-years. He also worked for the lodge as a bartender and managed the bar for ten years.

Jay was a devoted family man and a loving husband. He raised three children of his own and then in his mid 40's he remarried and raised his three step-children as his own.

Jay was a man who had many diverse interests. He loved his family and he enjoyed the comradary of his many friends. He loved to travel anytime, anywhere. His favorite pastimes included horse racing, watching football and many other sports both on TV and in person.

Jay had a biting wit and a sarcastic sense of humor. He had a zest for life that touched everyone he came in contact with, friend and stranger alike.

Jay's motto was: "Live life to the fullest and leave behind a beautiful memory."

No comments: