Friday, May 14, 2004

The Lighthouse Keeper

As of late, Jacob had found himself looking forward to retirement. After fifty years he had begun to wonder whether or not the path he had chosen in life was the right one. Not that he ever really had a choice. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather before him had all been lighthouse keepers and from his birth it had always been expected that he would follow in his families footsteps.

He loved the sea and never really gave serious thought to straying from his plotted course. After serving two years in the Coast Guard he returned home to replace his father has keeper of the Cambria Lighthouse. In the fifties when he began, lighthouse keeping was still a career that offered challenges. He could remember many nights when his light and foghorn had been all that separated the ships sailing California's Central Coast from disaster. After spending the night monitoring the radio he would go to sleep in the morning with the feeling of a job well done.

Like many careers lighthouse keeping had changed over the years. With the advent of computer and satellite navigation the service he provided had become somewhat redundant. At night he would still turn on the light and if the weather called for it the foghorn. However this was done more out of tradition than need. He had no children so once he retired he was not even sure whom, if anyone would replace him. Cambria Lighthouse may just become a museum reflecting the lifestyles of an era gone by. The bottom line was that he did not feel needed. Like his lighthouse he had become an antique.

Jacob shook his head, what am I accomplishing by sitting here and feeling sorry for myself. He got up from his old rocker and climbed down the stairs to get the mail. There was a small pile waiting for him inside the door. He gathered it up and took it outside to sit in the sun while he sorted through the junk. Bills, bills, more bills and one letter. He could not remember the last time he had received a personal letter. He looked at the envelope it was addressed simply to:

Lighthouse Keeper
Cambria Lighthouse
Cambria, California

His curiosity piqued he opened the letter, it was written in pencil and by a youngster's hand. He began to read.

Dear Lighthouse Keeper,

My name is Kevin and I am thirteen years old. I just wanted to thank you for saving my father and me. About three months ago we were sailing from San Francisco to San Diego. When we reached the Central Coast it was night and very foggy. The ocean was silent except for the sound of the waves lapping against our boat. Visibility was limited to about three feet in any direction. My father was considering waiting out the fog when he had a mild heart attack. I had no choice I had to take over and get him to shore as soon as possible. I attempted to radio for help but our radio would not work. At that moment I felt more alone than I ever had before. I began to panic. I was sure my father was going to die. Just than out of the darkness I heard the low moan of a foghorn. I turned my head just in time to catch the light from your lighthouse. I took down the sails like my father had taught me. I then started our little outboard motor and navigated toward the shore using the foghorn and light to stay on course. Once I could hear the surf I turned parallel to the coast and maintained that course until I came to a marina. My father was taken to the hospital. We are both alive today because of your dedication in maintaining the Cambria Lighthouse. Thank you very much.

Kevin Ross

Jacob sat on the bench for quite awhile. Eyes closed and the sun warming his bones. He thought about young Kevin's letter and the more he thought about it the better he felt. Maybe lighthouse keeping was not as exciting as it once was but if every once in awhile he could still save a life than it was as exciting as it needed to be.



No comments: