Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Believe in Love

I was lost in some dream world
Where I met an old man
In an old wrinkled suit with silver hair
And gnarled trembling hands
He looked at me and with a weakened voice
Wove a tale about a love that grew
I stare at him with cynical eyes
That’s a myth it can’t be true
The world knows love is blind
A shallow empty promise
A broken shattered dream
Cupid’s arrow destined to miss
I shook my finger in his face
Don’t you know loves for fools
A mirage for the gullible
A maze of broken rules
Only those without a heart
Know how to play this game
While the naïve on an endless quest
Find only a life filled with pain

I looked up and was taken aback
Before my eyes he seemed to age
He looked at me with bitterness
His hands clenched in fists of rage
With weakened voice he spoke again
How did you become such a sorry fool
Wasting your life on self pity
Worrying about some silly rules
Trust me, love is not what you have said
Some empty foolish game
Love is not about winners and losers
The outcome is never the same
I could see he was filled with sorrow
As he began to shake and cry
He fell to his bony knees
Shouting why, why, oh why
Is it so hard for you to understand
I have walked the path your on
And now I’m just another crazy old man
I once walked this world
Standing tall, young and proud
I took the gift of love
And wrapped it in a funeral shroud
I found humor in watching those
Who found joy in playing the game
I believed myself to be happy
Walking alone just the same
I called myself superior
As I stood above the rest
I was sure that love was foolish
That my way was the best
But as I watched the years flow by
My pride began to grow thin
So many nights spent alone
The fear was creeping in
I began to question my beliefs
Could it be I was wrong
That love was more than silliness
Empty words in some country song
Knowledge though is a tricky thing
A learned to late
Now my destiny was loneliness
Cold dinners on paper plates
Please, please believe
Believe in what I say
Find yourself the perfect girl
Do what you can to make love stay
Then, slowly before my eyes
His image began to fade
Thought it was but a whisper
One more time I heard him say
Believe in love
It is the only answer
Believe in love
Follow the path forever

I woke with the sun in my eyes
Still groggy from the dream
I gave some thought to what I heard
Reviewed the images I had seen
I had never really planned
To find old age alone
I was more sure than ever
I did not want to die alone
Time was short in middle age
To set the course and find a heart
One filled with honesty
Willing to give me a new part
Today will be the beginning
Of a life filled with hope
Whatever tomorrow brings
With love I can cope




No comments: