Tuesday, January 04, 2005

But Then You

I never quite understood my fear
Of being someplace, someplace like here
My heart stood tall, always proud
No tears, I never cried aloud

But then you
You found the key to my atrophied heart
Where confusion had all but torn it apart
My mind thought cut your losses and run
My soul felt romance might be fun
So there I sat on a cold, damp night
Struggling and remaining true to the fight
Then I remembered how I used to be
Standing proud my spirit flying free
There was some pain a bit of sorrow
I hated today and I feared tomorrow
My heart though was cold, bitter and empty
With emotions I believed it was smart to be thrifty
I laughed at fools who believed in love
I was better I always rose above

But then you
You showed my a warmer life
Where love was not a synonym for strife
With you I learned to laugh and cry
With you I knew life’s reasons why
Why I should believe in love
You dusted my dreams, my visions of
Of a love filled with chance
Of warm hearted romance
I thought someday it would be you and me
That the whole world would come to see
They would see the girl I saw in you
They would see the heart I knew was true

But then you
You walked away
I fought back tears I prayed you’d stay
Though you walked, I have to say
Thank you for the lessons gave
Thank you for the heart you saved
The gift of love, the gift of tears
The gift of laughter, forgotten fears
Most of all thank you for the memories shared
And the bittersweet joy of once having cared

No comments: