Friday, February 13, 2004

Granfather

My grandfather by definition was a member of a strong but silent group. One of those men who were born at or around the turn of the century and who never shed a tear or raised their voice. I can only remember one occasion in which his emotions got the best of him.

It was 1975 and I had just turned sixteen. I was working part-time at a local steakhouse, The Cask and Cleaver. I was a bus boy, which paid decent money and included tips. As a bonus for some extra work I had done I received a gift card from one of the manager's for two free dinners.

My grandmother's birthday was in December, which coincidently was when I received the card. I decided taking my grandmother to dinner would be a great birthday present. I was the oldest of thirteen grandchildren so this was the first time one of us had the means to take her out to dinner or anyplace else for that matter. She was very excited. She had her hair done that morning and she was dressed in her Sunday best. She even wore make up which was rare for her. I picked her up in my '63 Valiant and with the smile on her face you would have thought I was picking her up in a chauffer driven Roll's.

Our arrival at the restaurant was memorable. The manager, Tony, happened to be near the door and he greeted her like she was royalty. He took her arm, introduced her to the staff and gave her a tour of the dining room and kitchen. He personally sat us at our table and provided her with a complimentary bottle of wine. Which he opened and poured for her. My grandmother was a very down to earth person and she was not used to this kind of treatment. But the smile on her face told the story and she ate all of the attention up.

She had filet mignon with lobster. Accompanied by a baked potato with the works and an artichoke. She made several trips to the salad bar making sure to try each item at least once. Of course since I was underage she finished the entire bottle of wine herself. When she had finished eating, Tony had not only our section but the staff and the entire restaurant sing Happy Birthday to her. The smile that lit her face would have lit up the entire city of Arcadia for a month.

On the way home she went on and on about her evening. She kept the empty wine bottle and displayed it prominently on her mantle for years after. As I drove off she waved and thanked me again for the best birthday celebration she could remember.

I arrived home to the ringing of the phone. My mother answered and handed me the receiver. At first I was unable to recognize the voice. After a moments hesitation I realized it was my grandfather. I had not recognized him because he was choked up and I am quite sure shedding a few tears. He said he was calling to thank me for showing my grandmother such a wonderful evening. In his words he had not seen her this happy in years. Still choking up he thanked me yet again and said three words that I had never heard him say nor would I hear them again from his lips before he passed way. I love you.

No comments: